Monday, August 25, 2014

Sunday Funday at Prairiefire

Hi friends! I hope you all had a lovely weekend and that you’re surviving the heat. We’ve been lucky to have had such a mild summer up until now so I guess I shouldn’t complain about this heat wave, but man it is miserable out!

Last weekend when it was still nice out Ben and I spent Sunday exploring the new Prairiefire district in Overland Park. They have a lot of cool things to see and do there: shopping, restaurants, a movie theater, and a museum.

The highlight of the area is definitely the museum. The building is absolutely gorgeous! I don’t think I’ve ever seen another building like this.

IMG_4346

IMG_4348

The Museum at Prairiefire is partnered with the American Museum of Natural History, which means they have the resources to bring in really cool exhibits and features. It’s free to walk through the main part of the museum, which is what we did last Sunday. The showstopper is the T-Rex! How cool is it that we have a T-Rex in Kansas City now!

IMG_4349

IMG_4350

IMG_4351

I also like the pterodactyls hanging from the ceiling.

IMG_4353

After the museum we stopped by a few of the shops and looked around.

IMG_4339

We had fun playing with this giant marble tower at Fat Brain Toys.

IMG_4340

I found Ben’s Christmas present at Threshing Bee. I loved all the cheeky cards and goods by That’s All.

After grabbing a drink and a snack at Paradise Diner (if you go, you have to try the Watermelon Juicer, it is amazing!), we headed to Pinstripes for a few rounds of bowling! It’s such a fun concept: a nice restaurant, bar, bowling, and bocce ball all in one place.

Prairiefire Pinstripes Bowling

We finished the day with dinner at Cocobolos, the new Mexican restaurant by Kansas City restaurateur Michael Smith. I highly recommend it!

Prairiefire Cocobolos

And just for fun, here are a few more pictures from the area. I love the sculptures and artwork sprinkled throughout.

IMG_4345

IMG_4362

IMG_4369

I enjoyed getting out for the day and exploring a new area in Kansas City. Have you checked out Prairiefire yet?

 

*I’m linking up to Mingle Monday at Life of Meg*

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a great way to spend the day! I've only visited the Rock N Brew place, but I'm excited to check out the museum and that bowling alley looks so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous place, and I love that it was free! So glad that you had an awesome day!!!

    ReplyDelete