Monday, September 9, 2013

Furniture Finds from First Friday

Today I’m really excited to show you guys the new furniture I bought for my office!

Vintage_Desk2

First of all, I wanted to thank everyone that weighed in on my options for a new desk. I was all set to buy the most popular desk (#4) but by the time I logged on to Target.com to buy it it had gone up in price Sad smile. So I stopped and reconsidered a little and I decided to look for a vintage desk.

Luckily, this weekend was First Friday when a bunch of huge vintage stores in the West Bottoms open for one weekend only during the month. Unluckily, it was also 95 degrees out so shopping was not as much fun as it could have been. Even in the heat though we did manage to find a couple great pieces!

The first piece we found was this desk at Hickory Dickory. I don’t necessarily love the finish—the top especially needs to be repainted—but it’s solid wood, it’s in really great shape structurally, and it’s the perfect size. Plus it was only $55! Sold!

Vintage_Desk1

Vintage_Desk3

I was also on the lookout for another piece for the office to give me some storage and display area. I wasn’t sure if that was going to be a buffet, a hutch, a repurposed dresser, or something else, but I was sure we could find something that would work. After browsing through 3 or 4 stores in the heat we were about ready to call it quits but we stopped into one last store, Rag and Bone. It didn’t take long to spot this really great mid-century modern hutch.

Vintage_Hutch1

Vintage_Hutch2

Don’t you love it?! It’s the perfect piece for this room. It has plenty of room for my textbooks and design books, plus space for some picture frames and some of my favorite tchotchkes. It was also important to me to find something that had some cabinets in which to store supplies and things that I’d rather not have on display. The full-width top drawer is an extra bonus.

IMG_2577

IMG_2578

The hutch is in excellent condition. It has a few little dings and scratches but they’re not very noticeable. A good wipedown with some Orange-Glo and it was basically as good as new! I also got it for a fantastic price. The dealer had just marked it down from $195 to $125, and when I asked him if he could do any better on the price he dropped it another $10! Done and done!

The office is not quite finished yet though. I’ve ordered new curtains to replace the ugly white ones in there now, and now that I finally have real furniture in the room I’m ready to hang some art on the walls. I can’t wait for it to be all done!

2 comments:

  1. I headed down to the West Bottoms that weekend too, brutal! Glad to see you found something awesome..we looked at a kitchen table, but couldn't pull the trigger. oh well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you'll find the perfect table next month! If nothing else, you know the weather will be better!

      Delete